With the creation of the old Ondo State (now Ondo and Ekiti State) in 1976, the third generation of Federal Government College were established. Specifically, Fed Govt. College Idoani was established on 20th February 1978.
The school with a pioneering student’s population of 72 on roll had her first Principal in person of Mr. (now chief) Mike Afolabi Omotade. Some of the pioneer members of staff include Late Alhaji M.O Shadare (Bursar) Mr. Femi Oni and Mr. L.O Anosike. The record has it that the first student to arrive the college was one Miss Talatu Mohammed from Maiduguri.
The school moved to its permanent site along Idoani – Idogun road in phases. First the pioneer students in their fourth year 1980/81 session while the rest of the students moved in September 1981. It’s now occupying a vast expanse of land between the two communities of Idoani and Idogun.
Federal Government College, Ido-ani, like other Federal Government Colleges in Nigeria, was created by the Nigerian government as one of the federally funded “Unity schools” to bring together students from regions across Nigeria. The school has facilities for both boarding and day students. Students range from Junior Secondary One (JS1) through Senior Secondary Three (SS3). Students must complete the Federal Common Entrance Exams in order to apply for attendance.
For those that lived on campus, both females and males lived in different hostels; subdivided into house colors, mainly RED, GREEN, YELLOW and BLUE. While each house color consists of at least 4 room, each room is mainly occupied by those at the same class level or grade level with an additional person to manage the affairs of the room, this person would in most cases if not all, be an SS3 student. Among all federal government colleges created, FGC Idoani had students who were very very outstanding and brilliant students who were exceptionally gifted as well as recording success in sport at the biannual FEDCOL games.
Since 1978 when the school was established, some of the Principals have taken their turns to administer the school at one time or the other. Below is the list of Principals and their period of stewardship in the college.
- Mr. Omotade, M.A (1978 – 1985)
- Mr. Olaoye, E.O (1985 – 1987)
- Mr. Akindoju (1987 – 1990)
- Mr. Ojonuba J.U (1991 – 1995)
- Mr. Adewale J.O (1995 – 1999)
- Mr. Akinwomoju, N.A (1999 – 2002)
- Mr. Omole (Ag Principal) (2002 – (Nov – Dec))
- Mrs. Fasina (Ag Principal) (2003 (Jan – June))
- Mrs. Abolaji A.A (July 2003 – 2005)
- Mr. Aderinto T.A (2006 – 2007)
- Mrs. Fasina F.O (Ag Principal) (Jan 2007 – Sept 2008)
- Mr. Ogbe R.A (Sept. 2008 – Dec. 2010)
- Mal. Alfa Abdullahi (Jan 2010 – July 2013)
- Mrs. Adu Bolanle (Ag Principal) (August 2013 – August 1st 2014)
- Mr. Chega S.G (August 2014 - 2015)
- Dr Mrs. T.F.O. Yakubu-Oyinloye (2015 – Oct 2018)
- Mrs. Okaliwe Eno Jane (Current Principal)
Aims and Objectives
The general aims and objectives of the Association shall be to rekindle, promote and sustain the founding vision, ideals, welfare and infrastructure of the Federal Government College Idoani and more particularly:
- To provide a national platform to enable all alumni of the Federal Government College Idoani to contribute positively towards the progress of the School.
- To encourage the establishment of liaison offices and branches of the Incorporated Trustees of Federal Government College Idoani Old Students Association in other towns in the Federal Republic of Nigeria and in countries outside Nigeria.
- To promote national unity and integration among the diverse peoples, cultures and religions of Nigeria in line with the founding ideology of the School, being one of the Unity Schools in Nigeria.
- To promote academic excellence and scholarship in the School.
- To encourage the development of good leadership skills among students and alumni of the School.
- To cooperate with the Authority of the School and checkmate their excesses within the limits allowed by law and in line with government policies and objectives in the management, control, and administration of the School.
- To advocate and influence policies and enactments in manners favourable to the School at all levels of government in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- To identify indigent students of the School and evolve an Assistance Educational Financial Scheme for indigent students of the School whenever it is deemed convienient to provide such assistance.
- To promote good relations among members of the Alumni Association and between the Alumni Associations of other Unity Schools in Nigeria.
- To ensure the protection and enhancement of the welfare of members of the Alumni Association all over Nigeria and beyond.
- To undertake anything or project that is reasonably incidental or consequential to the furtherance of these aims and objectives.
Board of Trustees
Mr John Osode
Mr Olumide Oniyire
Mrs Folashade Onajobi
Mr. Haruna Jalo-Waziri
Engr.(Dr.) Lateef Onikoyi
Engr. Izuchukwu Joshua
Engr. Bimbo Omotade